• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheetahs in Namibia (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Having failed to see cheetah in South Africa I keen to have another try in Namibia, when I visit in July/August either next year or the year after. Anyone seen them? I know they're in Etosha but not sure I've seen a trip report where someone has actually seen them. Does that mean they are even harder here than Kruger?

Steve

http://www.freewebs.com/stevebabbs/index.htm

(Not interested in reintroduced/ rehabilitated animals.)

Hi Steve,
I was lucky enough to see a wild cheetah outside a came park between Sesfontein and Palmwag. Very lucky spot as we only stopped to watch 4 giraffe, then noticed the cheetah behind a shrub. Remember every sighting of anything is a privilage, Namibia is beautiful and well worth visiting; Etosha park will give you as good a chance as any to see cheetah but don't forget to look out for the birds. Kori bustard are good here. Near the andoni gate we watched 9 lappet faced vultures on a gemsbok carcasse. Etosha has some very impressive communal weaverbird nests.
Have fun!

Steve

I missed them too (4 days) - not easy, its just another chance. Kalahari Gemsbok is supposed to be better but I missed em there too!

I'm banking on a visit to the Mara one day...

alan

Hi Steve - just to comment on your remark that you are not interested in reintroduced/rehabilitated animals......................
The reason that cheetah are hard to find is because there are not many of them left. They have been destroyed by stock farmers, which has gone hand in hand with habitat loss, and they are at the bottom of the carnivore pecking order, in that hyena, leopard and lion will all drive cheetah from a kill. In the case of lions they may attempt to kill the cheetah as well. Genetic studies of cheetah indicate that at some time in the past, the animal must have come close to extinction, for their genetic fingerprint is virtually identical - in other words, they all seem to be related to each other, which is what you would expect if the population had had to develop from a severely limited gene pool. This means that they do not breed very easily. Rehabilitation organisations are trying to rescue cheetah under threat from farmers, and relocate them where they can live a normal life, and also to improve the gene pool to increase breeding success. Far from being disinterested in them, you should give them your every support, for they are trying very hard to preserve the cheetah so that visitors like yourself can continue to appreciate this beautiful animal. You should look up Okonjima, for example, on the Net, and learn just what has to be done to help the cheetah and other threatened felines.
Go to Etosha by all means - but remember that concealment is the predator's stock in trade, and any sighting is a real bonus. I live in Africa, and have visited many wild areas, and have long since lost count of the number of times I have failed to see big cats. No-one can promise you a cheetah....the best you can do is to put yourself in the right place, and hope for a little bit of luck. I HAVE seen cheetah in Etosha - but it was sheer luck. We were watching some zebra when a mother with two cubs crossed the road behind us. And that is what most cat sightings are like. Good luck with your visit - maybe you too will get lucky.
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Hi Steve - just to comment on your remark that you are not interested in reintroduced/rehabilitated animals......................
The reason that cheetah are hard to find is because there are not many of them left. They have been destroyed by stock farmers, which has gone hand in hand with habitat loss, and they are at the bottom of the carnivore pecking order, in that hyena, leopard and lion will all drive cheetah from a kill. In the case of lions they may attempt to kill the cheetah as well. Genetic studies of cheetah indicate that at some time in the past, the animal must have come close to extinction, for their genetic fingerprint is virtually identical - in other words, they all seem to be related to each other, which is what you would expect if the population had had to develop from a severely limited gene pool. This means that they do not breed very easily. Rehabilitation organisations are trying to rescue cheetah under threat from farmers, and relocate them where they can live a normal life, and also to improve the gene pool to increase breeding success. Far from being disinterested in them, you should give them your every support, for they are trying very hard to preserve the cheetah so that visitors like yourself can continue to appreciate this beautiful animal. You should look up Okonjima, for example, on the Net, and learn just what has to be done to help the cheetah and other threatened felines.
Go to Etosha by all means - but remember that concealment is the predator's stock in trade, and any sighting is a real bonus. I live in Africa, and have visited many wild areas, and have long since lost count of the number of times I have failed to see big cats. No-one can promise you a cheetah....the best you can do is to put yourself in the right place, and hope for a little bit of luck. I HAVE seen cheetah in Etosha - but it was sheer luck. We were watching some zebra when a mother with two cubs crossed the road behind us. And that is what most cat sightings are like. Good luck with your visit - maybe you too will get lucky.
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

I wasn't expecting a promise. Just trying to increase my chances slightly. I have spent a big chunk of my adult life watching wildlife around the world and am only too aware how difficult it can be. I certainly have nothing against reintroductions, that just isn't how I want to see one. Also all too aware of the conservation issue- I am an ecologist by training and worked in conservation/wildlife research for ten years.

Steve

Steve, another thought has occurred to me...........I know you said you are planning a Namibian visit, but as far as cheetah are concerned the East African plains such as Serengeti might be a good bet. Visibility across the grasslands is excellent, and cheetah have even been known to climb onto game-viewing vehicles to give them an extra advantage in prey-spotting.
Best regards,
Dave Kennedy

Serengeti Cheetah

I found this in my archive - it was taken in Serengeti in 1965, 43 years ago, which makes me feel a little old!
Good luck with your cheetah quest.
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• 82. Serengeti Plains - Cheetah, 1965.jpg
    82. Serengeti Plains - Cheetah, 1965.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Cheetah are not very easy to find at Etosha in general - I have spent a lot of time in the park and not seen them there, but others saw them whilst I was there. It's just a question of luck, as you now, but Etosha is not really open grasslands, so actually spotting Cheetahs is always going to be hit and miss. However, as a locality, Etosha is just magic. I would say the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park is a more reliable location for seeing them (and that Krugar is probably better than Etosha too in this respect). Kgalagadi is also a good Leopard spot. For Cheetah, it is certainly true that the Mara and Serengeti are certainly your best bet.

Steve, another thought has occurred to me...........I know you said you are planning a Namibian visit, but as far as cheetah are concerned the East African plains such as Serengeti might be a good bet. Visibility across the grasslands is excellent, and cheetah have even been known to climb onto game-viewing vehicles to give them an extra advantage in prey-spotting.
Best regards,
Dave Kennedy

Dave

I'm sure you're right East Africa would be a better bet for cheetah, but I am visiting Namibia anyway on a general birding/wildlife watching trip. I always realised that cheetah was a long shot but would like to maximise my rather slim chances. The big appeal of South Africa/Namibia for me is that you can drive yourself, rather than going on organised tours, I presume, from what I have heard, that this is not the case in East Africa - but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Steve

The big appeal of South Africa/Namibia for me is that you can drive yourself, rather than going on organised tours, I presume, from what I have heard, that this is not the case in East Africa - but please correct me if I'm wrong.

You can self-drive in both East and Southern Africa, but the costs and facilities are better in Southern Africa (with the exception of the Okavango which is very expensive!). Good luck with the Cheetahs, but regardless you will not be disappointed - make sure you get to spend one night in the Okakueju (spelling?) camp - the night waterhole is excellent, clouds of nightjars, occasional owls and Black Rhino almost guaranteed (if you visit before the rains)

You can self-drive in both East and Southern Africa, but the costs and facilities are better in Southern Africa (with the exception of the Okavango which is very expensive!). Good luck with the Cheetahs, but regardless you will not be disappointed - make sure you get to spend one night in the Okakueju (spelling?) camp - the night waterhole is excellent, clouds of nightjars, occasional owls and Black Rhino almost guaranteed (if you visit before the rains)

Jos

It sounds fantastic although it seems likely that it'll be 09 before I get there now. The lure of brazil for next year may well prove too much.

Steve

PS you mention July/August, suggesting you are maybe tied by UK school holidays, but if not, Etosha is generally at its best from end October through November - the end of the very long dry season and animals are concentrated round the dwindling waterholes. With the rains in December-January, all rapidly greens and animals not only disperce, but also become harder to see due to vegetation. I have not been in July-August but I guess it would be not bad as it is already a long way into the dry season.

However, if you can get down to Cape Town, a pelagic in those months would be mind-blowing!

Hi Steve
We spent two weeks in the Central Kalahari this year in April, and at Deception Valley we saw no less than 8 cheetahs in one day. We also saw two others at Passarge Valley. We considered ourselves really lucky. Have been to every spot possible in Namibia and the only ones we have seen here in four years were either at rehab centres or on tourist farms. Good luck.
Jane

Hi Steve
We spent two weeks in the Central Kalahari this year in April, and at Deception Valley we saw no less than 8 cheetahs in one day. We also saw two others at Passarge Valley. We considered ourselves really lucky. Have been to every spot possible in Namibia and the only ones we have seen here in four years were either at rehab centres or on tourist farms. Good luck.
Jane

Enjoyed the Website Jane. Thanks for the tip but I presume the Central Kalahari is only suitable for 4x4 and we'll have a 2WD. We're going to try the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, which I'm told can be visited with a 2WD with care.

As the date show this trip was put off a bit but is on for next July/Aug, as Jos guessed I am tied to school holidays. But I did have my second trip to South Africa and had that mind blowing pelagic Jos was talking about.

Last edited:
We're going to try the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, which I'm told can be visited with a 2WD with care.

The South African side of Kgalagadi is easily visited with a two-whee drive and is excellent for cats - Cheetah far more likely to be seen here than in Etosha, plus Lions very easily and African Wild Cats, etc. Very good for owls too.

PS I've been to Etosha at least six times, yet to see a Cheetah there ...which means either I've been unlucky, I've been half blind or they are indeed harder here than in Krugar. I suspect it is the latter, but I hope for you one of the first two.

The South African side of Kgalagadi is easily visited with a two-whee drive and is excellent for cats - Cheetah far more likely to be seen here than in Etosha, plus Lions very easily and African Wild Cats, etc. Very good for owls too.

PS I've been to Etosha at least six times, yet to see a Cheetah there ...which means either I've been unlucky, I've been half blind or they are indeed harder here than in Krugar. I suspect it is the latter, but I hope for you one of the first two.

Always knew Etosha was a long shot, spent two weeks in Kruger without seeing one. Hopefully I'll have more luck at Kgalagadi.

Hi Steve, You are absolutely right - you do need a 4x4 in the Central Kalahari. The Kgaligadi is fine for two wheel drive but the roads are absolutely shocking. Very corrugated. Depends really when you go - at the height of season the roads worsen because of all the traffic. Loads of raptors to be seen there though - they make the teeth-rattling drive worth the effort. We'll be going there again in March 2010. Jane

You could be lucky with the roads in Kgaligadi (though I suspect not). On my way into the park a few years ago the roads were shocking as Wilkinsonsworld says - 60km took over 2 hours which is not what I needed having all ready been driving for over 8 hours. However, at some point in the next few days the road was graded and was as flat as a snooker table.
The park was so good for birds and animals that the long drive in didn't really matter though.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back