• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 820 zoom vs 660 zoom? (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
Just wondering if anyone has ever managed to compare the newer 820 zoom with the twist up eyecups (I've been told the new one is no different optically to the old one though) with a 660 zoom on an 823/824?

I'm getting a zoom for my 824 and wondered what the better zoom is and I'm aware that I need an E.P. adapter for the 660 zoom. :t:
Jaff

Just wondering if anyone has ever managed to compare the newer 820 zoom with the twist up eyecups (I've been told the new one is no different optically to the old one though) with a 660 zoom on an 823/824?

Hi Jaff,

I don't know how good the 660 zoom is, but I have owned an 823 with the older zoom (rubber eyecup). It was optically excellent, but its short eye-relief forced me to use it without glasses - and it suffered from strong vignetting in digiscoping. The new zoom has slightly (but enough) better ER and it looks "fatter", which is why I have always thought it would be redesigned rather than just repackaged. Anyway, I would surely get a 820 zoom for a 820 scope.

Best regards,

Ilkka

Thanks very much for your reply Ilkka. It was a question I thought was unlikely to be answered as it was a very unlikely situation for someone to have tried them both but I thought I'd ask anyway.

However, it was kind of a con my thread, sorry. I'd already made my mind up before I put the thread on as to which one I wanted! o:D

Had a look on a friend's 823 with a 660 zoom and was very pleased with it but the real clincher is the digiscoping side. I've discovered that my Opticron DCC adapter (for HDF 20-60x zoom) attaches my 4500 to it perfectly, using the smaller insert ring with the eyecup on or (I'll be doing it this way) the thicker insert ring with the eyecup off. At 20x the vignetting is gone at about 1x on the cameras zoom (same as with my HDF on my 612).

Add to this that the 660 zoom is cheaper and if I were to get to the 820 zoom I would have to maybe fork out another £99 for a new adapter. I'm probably saving something like £150!

I'll be ordering it soon and then we'll see if it can live up to my expectations! :t:
Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back