• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Photography in Front Garden - Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

sm9

Hi there,

I'm going to be re-designing my 'west facing' front garden (a new brick wall, wider driveway, and maybe a new hedge at the front and side), so want to plan this out with 'bird photography' in mind. I'm keen to get some advice on what feeders or other equipment I should consider within the garden, and any tips for getting close to the birds to get some nice photos. I've attached a picture of the garden to this post.

I have a back garden, but it's not very scenic (a close backdrop of semi-detached houses!) and the dog is in there a lot so chases everything that moves!

I'm a keen photographer (though I don't have a massive reach at the moment - Canon EOS 5D, 70-200 2.8 L IS Lens, & 1.4x Converter), but new to bird photography. My goals are to get the sort of photos that you see professionals taking, with those lovely blurred green backgrounds.

If I set this up right, I already have a decent backdrop in place in front of the garden (those tall trees in the distance in the attached picture). I've currently got fairly small conifers (all around 3-5 foot tall) in the front and side of the garden, though I would be open to suggestions to replace these with either faster growing conifers (like Leylandi) or another form of hedge all together.

When talking about feeders, I'm guessing that I'm going to need something free-standing as although I have lots of grass at the moment, I don't have much in the way of walls or fences to hang things on. I'm also keen to have natural looking items where possible so that any photos I do get look are 'natural' as possible.

And just to reassure anyone, I know that bird feeding isn't just for Christmas, so this is something that I will be keeping up long after I've got the photos an am hopefully moving onto to more advanced birding. I've got a small child (6 months old) so hope that he will grow up being able to see all sorts of birds feeding in the garden.

Thanks for any advice/tips,

Stephen

Attachments

• 060831_MG_1654.jpg
    060831_MG_1654.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 213
Try and get some more bushes like Pyracantha, buddliea,Mahonia. For a bit of colour in winter there is a lovely tree which has pink flowers - Viburnum Bodnantense Dawn{we have had ours about 10 years and it is just about 6ft tall}

I have various feeder which I actually hang from the branches of the bushes and trees ..just the basic tube ones do.. We do have one that is a pole with 4 ornate arms coming off it and you can vary the feeders which you put on it.

Here is a picture of some of them to give you an idea

Viburnum
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=131746

Mahonia
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=126627

Pyracantha
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=40086

Buddleia
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=100934

Think carefully about lines of sight and direction of light at times when you are likely to be taking photos. It may also be worth considering placing a small hide near the feeders for closer work with your shortish lens. (I like shooting at somewhere between 45-135 degrees to the light ideally - 90degrees= sidelighting). Also make sure of your backgrounds in those directions.
My garden faces south, but unfortunately all the best viewpoints also look south, which can make photography rather hard in strong light.

I have seen some bird photgraphers cut small branches and attach them to the feeders, above and below.

Pick pretty looking, moss covered branches for a nice effect, once they have been there for a couple of weeks you should get a fair amount of birds using them. I have seen the end results and they look 100% authentic.

I have a metal feeding pole with four ornate arms to hang feeders etc on. I got some dead branches with lichen on them so they looked fairly natural and then fastened them to the feeding pole with industrial strengh plastic electrical ties. These branches are fastened so they are above the height of the feeders and the birds usually, but not always land on the branches before moving down to the feeders etc. This gives much more natural looking shots than those with a feeder in them. You can also use the branches to hang more feeders etc on.
Barnaby

I've currently got fairly small conifers (all around 3-5 foot tall) in the front and side of the garden, though I would be open to suggestions to replace these with either faster growing conifers (like Leylandi) or another form of hedge all together
I would avoid all conifers especially Leylandi, as you say they will grow FAST and soon block a lot of light, which will not help with your photography.

They are very thirsty plants and you will find it very difficult (impossible) to grow anything near them, including grass.

They also have all the charm of a green brick wall.

I would also add a stone pedestal birdbath. Very good for photo opportunities and also great for the birds.

Des.

I would also add a stone pedestal birdbath. Very good for photo opportunities and also great for the birds.
Des.

I'll second that-MUST BE STONE! We put a plastic one in some time ago-we get lots of birds in the garden but NONE in the birdbath. Apparently they don't like the slippery surface and need the rough surface of stone.

I put Leylandi in (just for privacy). One day I looked at them and they we 8 metres high! They take over everything unless you trim them at, say, 2.0 metres and keep giving them a haircut.

I'll second that-MUST BE STONE! We put a plastic one in some time ago-we get lots of birds in the garden but NONE in the birdbath. Apparently they don't like the slippery surface and need the rough surface of stone.

I put Leylandi in (just for privacy). One day I looked at them and they we 8 metres high! They take over everything unless you trim them at, say, 2.0 metres and keep giving them a haircut.

That's interesting to know. I only said stone as it weathers nicely and would look better in photographs.

Cheers,
Des.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back