• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
Just thought I'd say that I've seen a lot of Waxwings in central Sweden during the last few days, both in Stockholm and in Östergötland (Linköping and Söderköping). Didn't see any last year before the last week in October.

I'll try and post a couple of pictures later.

Here are some pictures. Bit of a rush job but they look promising.

Attachments

• IMG_8506.jpg
    IMG_8506.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_8577.jpg
    IMG_8577.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8594.jpg
    IMG_8594.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8599.jpg
    IMG_8599.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 126
you probably get this alot, but what is it like in sweden. i mean the weather, traditions, those kinds of things. i have always wanted to travel to sweden and see the beauties of it. what kind of birds are flying around there?

you probably get this alot, but what is it like in sweden. i mean the weather, traditions, those kinds of things. i have always wanted to travel to sweden and see the beauties of it. what kind of birds are flying around there?

Sweden has a small population - only amout 9 million people - but it's a very long country geographically, stretching from near Denmark in the south to the Arctic Circle in the north. This means that there is tremendous variation in wildlife, and to some extent traditions, between the different parts.

To give a couple of examples: my sister-in-law lives in Helsingborg in the south and when I visit her I see a lot of Red Kites and sometimes White Storks.
For a few days during the summer I was in the South Swedish Highlands (very near the Norwegian border) and suddenly found myself in a region with wolves, bears, lynx and wolverines (didn't see any though). I did see Siberian Jays though and birds like Siskins that I normally see during the winter. There were also lots of Bramblings which we really only see in Stockholm during migration periods.

In Stockholm you can see White-tailed Eagles fly over the centre if you're lucky and Goshawks have begun to hunt the feral pigeons. I've also seen Osprey near the centre. In Djurgården (an area of parks, canals and old woodland very near the centre of the city) there are dense populations of Tawny Owls and Goshawks.

The biggest celebration in Sweden as a whole is Midsummer which is an interesting combination of old traditions and drunkenness. The proportions vary according to who you're celebrating with.

We Stockholmers tend to think of Stockholm as central Sweden but it's really quite far south geographically. We used to have snow all winter (November-April/May). But though we still have some snow there is generally less and it tends not to lie for such long periods. It's becoming wetter and windier instead.

Saw a flock of about 50 Waxwings on Tuesday across the road from the school where I work and this morning there was (briefly) a small flock in an oak tree outside my office window.

Getting them in Sodermalm last 2 weeks too, up to 80 outside the apt. trilling away, great stuff, 1,600 on Landsort yesterday, these birds are really moving in numbers at the moment...

Looking forward to seeing them in the UK too.

Where are the likest places for them to visit? I understand that the Scottish East coast is part of their short winter visits.

Regards
Kathy

They tend to show in Scotland first, Kathy. One or two have been reported but also a couple in Norfolk. But we want flocks of them don't we? Like in 2005 was it? Don't know whether they get to Bedford though.

Sandra

They tend to show in Scotland first, Kathy. One or two have been reported but also a couple in Norfolk. But we want flocks of them don't we? Like in 2005 was it? Don't know whether they get to Bedford though.

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Thank you for your information here :t:

I agree a flock of them all at once would be a great thing to see. I just hope that they come this way just for a look at them.

I am sure there will be reports from people here where they are, so that makes it a must for everyone to see. :-O

Regards
Kathy

Looking forward to seeing them in the UK too.

Where are the likest places for them to visit? I understand that the Scottish East coast is part of their short winter visits.

Regards
Kathy

As far as i understand they can pretty much end up any where if there is enough of them as they eat all the berries and move on so become quite mobile. I seem to recall they often turn up in parks and car parks were Rowan trees have been planted..

As far as i understand they can pretty much end up any where if there is enough of them as they eat all the berries and move on so become quite mobile. I seem to recall they often turn up in parks and car parks were Rowan trees have been planted..

Hi Gareth

Thank you for your information here.

I see that you stay in Oxfordshire. Any sightings there at all?

There are lots and lots of Rowan trees in Scotland along with the Hawthorn etc ..... So I can see why Waxwings love Rowan's, and Scotland has a lot of them.

The one difference I have noticed a big difference England and Scotland, is there seems to be a lot more types of berry trees and berry bushes. I have never seen some many types before. It must be the fact it is a bit warmer down south, and the weather is more milder than up north.

Birds know what wild food is best, and they let us know too. ;)

Regards
Kathy.

A nice influx of waxwings would certainly brighten up a dull winter in Dublin. In 2005, a flock of about 50 spent a few weeks feeding in the trees around the school where I teach. It was a great opportunity to show otherwise uninterested teenagers something special. And a lot of them actually appreciated it....I mean who can´t love a waxwing?

A nice influx of waxwings would certainly brighten up a dull winter in Dublin. In 2005, a flock of about 50 spent a few weeks feeding in the trees around the school where I teach. It was a great opportunity to show otherwise uninterested teenagers something special. And a lot of them actually appreciated it....I mean who can´t love a waxwing?

Hi Sancho

Waxwings are so easy to recognise.

There is no other bird that has that distinguished plume on top of its head that I know of

2005 sounded a great year for Waxwings for Ireland, and it is good that your teenagers where enthralled by them too.

Yes, Waxwings are very lovable, and beautiful to look at. o:)o:)o:)

Regards
Kathy

I agree a real treat. I moved up to Edinburgh from England 6 years ago and have seen them every winter since. I even had a flock of 14 outside my front window at the start of this year.

I agree a real treat. I moved up to Edinburgh from England 6 years ago and have seen them every winter since. I even had a flock of 14 outside my front window at the start of this year.

Hi Baphomet

You have seen them in Edinburgh, and at your front door too. Which part of Edinburgh do you stay? (my hometown here :t:)

Lucky you, and for 6 years too. I am jealous here.

Regards
Kathy

Willowbrea area. A stones throw from Duddingston Loch. I must admit it is a beautiful place to live.

Hi baphomet

Willowbrae nice area :t:

You are right Edinburgh is a beautiful place. Moved to Edinburgh from Lasswade here at a young age.

First to the Meadows, then Morningside, used to stay at Newington at one stage. Last place was near Liberton/Gilmerton, and used to walk to Duddingston Loch a lot and around Braid Hills all of the time.

Never saw any Waxwings either, or it was more blind to the fact.

I moved to Bedford this March.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Willowbrea area. A stones throw from Duddingston Loch. I must admit it is a beautiful place to live.

Well you must be round the corner from me-I stay in the Meadowfields-took up birding in 2004 and one of my first sightings was a group of about 350 in Northfield Broadway feeding on the rowans there-another group of about 200 flew in and then they all flew off north-they were fearless feeding on trees as people walked just 5 metres away-and I remember being struck by their direct fast powerful flight.

And the last 2 winters have been pretty good for them here too.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back