- Pygoscelis adeliae
46 to 75 cm
- White belly
- Black head and back
- White eye ring
- Red bill, mostly covered by long white feathers
- The tail is a little longer than other penguins
Circumpolar Antarctic seas to edge of ice pack.
Sea ice but needs the ice-free land to breed.
The diet includes krill, fish and squid.
Their nests consist of stones piled together. 2 greenish white eggs are laid and are incubated by both parents in turn for 35 days.
The female returns to the sea first, often leaving the male to stand alone for up to ten days while she feeds.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, B.L. Sullivan, C. L. Wood, and D. Roberson. 2012. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to October 2012. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- Penguins around the World
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Adelie Penguin. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 22 October 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Adelie_Penguin