- Eremopterix grisea
12 cm (4-4¾ in)
- Brownish-black underparts and head
- rilght white patches on the nape
- Grey crown
- Pale grey upperparts and wings
- Light grey thick bill
Female and Young
- drabber, pale brown-grey upperparts
- Buff underparts
- White belly
- Dark grey underwing coverts visible in flight
Open dry scrub and dry cultivated fields, sandy river beds, dry tidal mudflats. Arid stoney plains, grassland.
A ground nester, laying 2-3 eggs.
The diet includes insects such as small beetles and grass seeds.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2014. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.9., with updates to August 2014. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved July 2015)
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Ashy-crowned Sparrow-Lark. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 27 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Ashy-crowned_Sparrow-Lark