- Merops orientalis
16-18cm (6¼-7 in)
- Green upper parts
- Head and underpart colours vary according to subspecies
- Wings with green coverts and rusty flight feathers having a black terminal band
- Black beak and line through eye
- Black line separating throat from upper breast
- Long extensions on central tail feathers
Sexes similar, but female duller
Western birds are mainly green in both head and throat. There is an increasing level of rusty colors in the crown and upperside towards the east and especially in Sri Lanka. Western birds frequently have a narrow blue line under the black eye line, this become more noticeable further east. In the easternmost birds (Indochina) throat becomes yellowish in worn individuals. Underside buffy to whitish in Sri Lanka.
There are 4 subspecies:
- M. o. beludschicus:
- From the north end of Persian Gulf to Baluchistan and western India
- M. o. orientalis:
- M. o. ceylonicus
- M. o. ferrugeiceps:
Around water bodies, river sides, open cultivated areas, scrub forests, parks and gardens, open woodland.
They catch bees and other insects in flight and retun to the same perch to batter them to remove the sting before eating.
Nests are made in a tunnel in sandy banks. The 4 to 8 spherical white eggs are incubated by both the male and the female.
Click on photo for larger image
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, T. A. Fredericks, J. A. Gerbracht, D. Lepage, S. M. Billerman, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2022. The eBird/Clements checklist of Birds of the World: v2022. Downloaded from https://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Gill, F, D Donsker, and P Rasmussen (Eds). 2023. IOC World Bird List (v 13.1)_red. Doi 10.14344/IOC.ML.13.1. http://www.worldbirdnames.org/
- Kirwan, G. M., H. Fry, and P. F. D. Boesman (2022). Asian Green Bee-eater (Merops orientalis), version 1.0. In Birds of the World (G. M. Kirwan, Editor). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.grnbee3.01
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Asian Green Bee-eater. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 6 December 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Asian_Green_Bee-eater
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.1