- Anser indicus
68-78 cm (26¾-30¾ in)
- Pale grey
- Two black bars on white head
- Dark grey hind neck
- Bill and legs orangey-yellow
European populations are generally escaped captive birds.
They breed near high altitude lakes. Wintering on salt and fresh water marshes, grazing in grassland and wetlands.
They lay 3-8 eggs in a ground nest.
In summer the diet includes grass; in winter they feed on barley, rice and wheat.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Collins Bird Guide ISBN 0 00 219728 6
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Bar-headed Goose. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 27 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Bar-headed_Goose