Alternative name: Sulawesi Honey Buzzard
- Pernis celebensis
- Black crown and nape
- Short crest on nape
- Sepia upper parts and upper wings
- Buff streaks on upper back
- Brown to black tail with a broad pale brown band
- Sides of the head are streaked with sepia and pale brown
- White throat and chin narrowly streaked with black, broad black median line and black edges
- Buff upper breast streaked with dark brown
- Barred white and dark brown lower breast, belly and under-wing coverts
- Yellow to brown eyes
- Yellow cere and feet
- Bill black above, and horn coloured at base of lower mandible
Immatures are much paler brown above than the adult; pale sepia with paler edges.
Plumage of both adult and immature is similar to Sulawesi Hawk-Eagle
Sulawesi, Muna, Butung and Peleng islands. Resident.
Philippine Honey Buzzard was recently split from this species.
The diet includes bees and their honey-combs.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2019. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World: v2019. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Gill, F, D Donsker, and P Rasmussen (Eds). 2020. IOC World Bird List (v 10.2). Doi 10.14344/IOC.ML.10.2. http://www.worldbirdnames.org/
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Barred Honey Buzzard. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 17 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Barred_Honey_Buzzard