- Centropus celebensis
44 - 50cm (17¼-19¾ in)
- Mostly rufous plumage
- Grey crown
- Olive-grey back
- Wine-rufous wings
- Red eye
- Black bill
- rufescens more rufous on head, back and breast
Juveniles similar to adults but with paler throat and breast and light grey eye.
There are 2 subspecies:
- C. c. celebensis:
- Northern Sulawesi and Togian Islands
- C. c. rufescens:
- Central and southern Sulawesi, Labuan Blanda, Muna and Butung islands
Moist lowland forests and montanes.
Behaviour similar to malkohas. Often climbs through lianas and thick foliage and often in small groups. Frequently associate with malkohas and macaques.
Feeds on large insects, mainly Orthoptera, locusts and beetles.
No information about breeding.
This is a resident species.
Click on image to enlarge
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and J Sargatal, eds. 1997. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 4: Sandgrouse to Cuckoos. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334221
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Bay Coucal. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 11 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Bay_Coucal