- Lalage melanoptera
- Black head, wings and tail
- Ash-grey body with whitish underparts
- Grey head
- Black and white underparts
South and south-east Asia.
Formerly placed in the genus Coracina.
There are 2 subspecies:
- L. m. melanoptera:
- L. m. sykesi:
Woodlands and mangroves.
It is usually seen in pairs.
The diet includes insects and berries such as lantana.
Breeding season is March to August. The nest is a shallow cup on the top surface of a branch. Twigs and rootlets are bound together with cobwebs.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2015. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2015, with updates to August 2015. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Black-headed Cuckooshrike. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 27 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Black-headed_Cuckooshrike