- Trogon melanurus
- Yellow bill
- Orange-red eye-ring around dark eye
- Thin white chest band between dark green breast and red belly
- Slaty grey undertail
- Grey above and below
- Red lower belly
- Virtually no eye-ring
- Grey on upper mandible (nominate subspecies only)
Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Venezuela, The Guianas. Ecuadorian Trogon is isolated west of the Andes in western Ecuador and north-western Peru.
In 2008, the South American Classification Committee voted to split Ecuadorian Trogon from this species: Citation
- T. m. macroura (Large-tailed):
- South-eastern Brazil (SÃ£o Paulo region)
Canopy and sub-canopy of humid forest and forest edges.
The diet includes fruits.
- Clements, JF. 2009. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2009. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019.
- SACC proposal for splitting Black-tailed Trogon
- Arthur Grosset
 External Links