- Lanius cristatus
17-20 cm (6¾-7¾ in)
- Dark brown upperparts and crown
- White face
- Black eye mask
- Yellow-buff underparts
Female similar but has a greyer crown
- L. c. cristatus:
- L. c. confusus:
- L. c. superciliosus:
- L. c. lucionensis:
Found in virtually all habitats, including urban areas. Conspicuous and noisy, often on telephone wires. Forests and semi desert.
Very aggressive preying on large insects (including wasps and bees); sometimes takes mammals and small birds.
They nest in trees or bushes; the clutch consists of 2-6 eggs.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2019. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World: v2019. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Collins Bird Guide ISBN 0 00 219728 6
- Birdforum Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Brown Shrike. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 6 May 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Brown_Shrike