- Cantorchilus leucotis
- Buff breast
- Rufous belly
- Black barred wings and tail
- Sides of head streaked black and white
- Narrow white supercilium
 Similar Species
Central and South America
Central America: found only in Panama
South America: Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil and Paraguay
Was formerly placed in genus Thryothorus like all other species of the genus Cantorchilus.
There are 11 subspecies:
- C. l. galbraithii: Eastern Panama and north-western Colombia (northern ChocÃ³ and northern Antioquia)
- C. l. conditus: Pearl Islands and Coiba Island (Gulf of Panama)
- C. l. leucotis: Northern Colombia (western slope of Santa Marta Mountains to Magdalena Valley)
- C. l. collinus: Northern Colombia (northern Guajira Peninsula in SerranÃa de Macuira)
- C. l. venezuelanus: Northern tropical Colombia and north-western Venezuela
- C. l. zuliensis: Eastern Colombia (Norte de Santander) to western Venezuela
- C. l. peruanus: South-eastern Colombia to eastern Ecuador, eastern Peru, northern Bolivia and western Amazonian Brazil
- C. l. bogotensis: Llanos of eastern Colombia to central Venezuela
- C. l. hypoleucus: Llanos of north central Venezuela
- C. l. albipectus: North-eastern Venezuela to the Guianas, north-eastern Brazil and northern Mato Grosso
- C. l. rufiventris: Eastern Brazil (southern MaranhÃ£o to PiauÃ, GoiÃ¡s, Minas Gerais and SÃ£o Paulo)
Wide variety of forest, woodland, edges, and clearings to less than 1000 m asl.; often near water.
Has reputation for being retiring but curious. Usually as pairs or small flocks.
Most frequent in vine tangles up to sub-canopy, sometimes on the ground.
- Clements, JF. 2010. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2010. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/Clements%206.5.xls/view
- Restall et al. 2006. Birds of Northern South America. Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300124156
- Arthur Grosset
 External Links