- Emberiza rutila
- Chestnut-brown upperparts and head
- Yellow belly and breast, streaked at sides
- Short tail
- Dull brown
- Dark streaks on upperparts
- Pale yellow underparts
- Dull chestnut rump
- Buff throat
Open forest with shrubs and coastal scrub. Winters in farmland, scrub and woodland edges.
Their main diet consists of seeds, but caterpillars and insects are included during the breeding season.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2019. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World: v2019. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved May 2014)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Chestnut Bunting. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 15 October 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Chestnut_Bunting