- Anas castanea
- Dark brown upperparts and wings
- Dark green-purple wing panel edged white
- Brown underwing
- Chestnut neck, breast and flanks
- Green head
- Black undertail with white patch
- Dark red eye
- Bluish-grey bill
- Greenish-grey legs and feet
- Dark brown and grey mottling
- Pale, brown streaked throat
- Dark eye stripe
The female is very similar to the Grey Teal.
Breeds in brackish or fresh swamps near coast, otherwise coastal estuaries, saltmarshes, lakes, urban wetlands, tidal mudflats, estuaries; inlets, islands, and montane lakes
The diet includes seeds, insects, vegetation, molluscs and crustaceans.
Monogamous, they nest over water, in hollow tree stumps, lining the nest with down. Only the female incubates the eggs.
- Clements, JF. 2009. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2009. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019.
- Birds in Backyards
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Chestnut Teal. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 19 September 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Chestnut_Teal