- Chrysococcyx xanthorhynchus
16cm (6 in)
- Glossy violet upperparts and head
- Blackish tail with white tip, outer feathers barred
- Bright violet chin to upper breast
- White belly with broad black, green or violet bars
- Red eye-ring
- amethystinus is glossy blue-violet rather than reddish violet
- Greenish bronze upperparts
- Dark brown crown
- White markings around eye and sometimes on forehead
- Greenish central tail, rest of tail rufous with greenish bars, outer rectrices barred black and white
- Whitish breast with bronze-green bars and variably washed rufous
Juveniles have barred rufous and greenish bronze upperparts, a bright rufous crown, rufous and green (or rufous and brown) wings, a barred brown and rufous tail and white brown-barred underparts.
Found from northeast India and Bangladesh east to Burma, Thailand and southcentral China (Yunnan) and south to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia to peninsular Malaysia, including Singapore. Also on Sumatra, Java, Borneo and the Philippines.
Threatened due habitat loss.
There are 2 subspecies:
- C.x. xanthorhynchus from northeast India to southeast Asia, Greater Sundas and Palawan
- C.x. amethystinus in the Philippines
It's sometimes placed in the genus Chalcites.
Moist lowland forests and mangrove forests. Also in orchards, gardens and rubber plantations.
Occurs from lowlands up to 1500m, but mainly below 700m.
Feeds on insects, takes also fruit.
Forages by creeping up and down branches, also flycatches. Perches often motionless.
Southern populations are resident, northern populations (e.g. in Assam and Bangladesh) appear to be migratory.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and J Sargatal, eds. 1997. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 4: Sandgrouse to Cuckoos. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334221
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Violet Cuckoo. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 12 May 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Violet_Cuckoo