- Malacoptila striata
17·5–20 cm (6¾-7¾ in) The white crescent on the chest is bordered below by a black band below which the belly is rufous to buffy with white in the centre.
There are 2 subspecies
- M. s. minor:
- Humid lowlands of north-eastern Brazil (north-eastern Maranhão)
- M. s. striata:
- South-eastern Brazil (southern Bahia and eastern Minas Gerais to Santa Catarina)
Interior of humid forests and forest edges.
Their diet probably consists of a variety of invertebrates. They follow army ant swarms.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2016. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2016, with updates to August 2016. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Arthur Grosset
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved May 2017)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Crescent-chested Puffbird. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 26 July 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Crescent-chested_Puffbird