- Lophoceros alboterminatus
- Black back
- Black wings
- White belly
- White tipped, long tail feathers
- Yellow iris
- Red bill
- Casque on the upper mandible (females have smaller casque)
Sub-Saharan Africa east of 10°E.
Western Africa: Equatorial Guinea, Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola
Eastern Africa: Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Zambia, Mozambique and Malawi
Southern Africa: Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal and Swaziland
Inland, coastal, highland and riverine evergreen forests; coastal dunes and mixed grassland forest areas.
The diet includes aerially hawked insects, small rodents, frogs, seeds and fruits.
The 4-5 white eggs are incubated for 25-30 days; the young fledge about 8 weeks later.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2015. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2015, with updates to August 2015. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Crowned Hornbill. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 14 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Crowned_Hornbill