- Pternistis erckelii
- Black forehead
- Black stripe above eye
- Chestnut crown
- Dark grey cheeks
- Light buff throat
- Grey brown neck, breast and back with chestnut streaks
- Black bill
- Dark grey-yellow legs and feet
- Males have two sets of spurs
Scrub-covered hillsides, streamside woods and mountain grasslands at 2000 - 3500m altitude in its native range.
The 7-12 spotted eggs are incubated for 21 to 23 days.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2019. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World: v2019. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Erckel's Francolin. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 27 November 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Erckel%27s_Francolin