- Pseudobulweria macgillivrayi
Uniformly dark brown petrel - similar to Bulwer's and Jouanin's Petrels.
Larger and more thick-set than Bulwer's Petrel, with a noticably larger head ( "bull-headed" ), shorter tail - with a slightly squarer tip, making the bird look squatter, in flight. "Arm" possibly longer, in proportion to "hand" than Bulwer's, giving a subtly different "jizz". Bill much shorter and thicker - looks more like a "blob" at any distance- than either Bulwer's or Jouanin's Petrels. No carpal bar on the upperwing, the underwing shows "silvery" with a thin trailing edge and a broader leading edge from the body to the carpal joint, no dark on the axillaries.
Endemic to the Fiji Islands. Breeds on Gau ( Ngau ) Island but the status is uncertain and distribution at sea is unknown.
Pseudobulweria vs. Pterodroma
Clements (2010) and Sibley & Monroe (1996) place Mascarene Petrel, Tahiti Petrel, Beck's Petrel and Fiji Petrel in Pterodroma. However, Howard & Moore, 2003, Brooke 2004, Christidis & Boles 2008, and Gill & Donsker 2010 recognise the genus Pseudobulweria.
Typical tubenose in that it is only coming to land for breeding.
In flight - in calm weather - shows a classic "flap and glide" pattern, close to the water. Shows both upper and undersides when turning, but doesn't "tower". Amplitude of wingbeats less / shallower than Bulwer's Petrel.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, B.L. Sullivan, C. L. Wood, and D. Roberson. 2013. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.8., with updates to August 2013. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BirdLife International
- Bretagnolle, Vincent; Attié, Carole & Pasquet, Eric (1998): Cytochrome-B evidence for validity and phylogenetic relationships of Pseudobulweria and Bulweria (Procellariidae). Auk 115(1): 188-195 PDF fulltext
- Brooke, Michael (2004): Albatrosses and Petrels across the World. Oxford University Press, Oxford, New York. ISBN 0-19-850125-0
- Christidis L, Boles WE: Systematics and Taxonomy of Australian Birds. Canberra: CSIRO Publishing 2008, ISBN 9780643065116
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Fiji Petrel. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 27 September 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Fiji_Petrel