- Centropus anselli
46 - 58cm.
- Purplish-glossed black upperparts and head, buff lower back barred black
- Blackish bronze tail
- Rufous wings with darker tips
- Rich tawny underparts
- Red eye
- Black bill
Sexes alike but females larger. Juveniles are dark brown above, their head has pale shaft streaks, the forehead is buff, the wings black-barred rufous, the tail black barred buff, the underparts rufous-buff and finely barred black, the centre of belly unbarred buffy.
Forests, second growth, swampy forests, grassy swamps, old cultivations.
A shy and difficult to observe species.
Omnivorous, feeds on insects, molluscs, frogs, small snakes, small birds.
Forages on or near the ground, scavenges around villages and camps.
This is a resident species.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, B.L. Sullivan, C. L. Wood, and D. Roberson. 2013. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.8., with updates to August 2013. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and J Sargatal, eds. 1997. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 4: Sandgrouse to Cuckoos. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334221
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Gabon Coucal. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 11 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Gabon_Coucal