Alternative name: White-winged Petrel
- Pterodroma leucoptera
Some of these forms have both light and dark morphs
There are 2 subspecies:
- P. l. leucoptera:
- Breeds Cabbage Tree Island (off eastern Australia); ranges southern Pacific Ocean
- P. l. caledonica:
Formerly considered conspecific with Collared Petrel.
Breeds near the coast usually on islands, spends the rest of its time at sea.
Breeding displays seems to involved birds calling from the ground at night as well as nightly display flights over breeding areas.
Poorly documented, but apparently consists mostly of squid and small fish.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2019. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World: v2019. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Birdforum thread discussing the new subspecies in posts 9-?
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved May 2014)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Gould's Petrel. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 25 June 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Gould%27s_Petrel