- Ortalis cinereiceps
46–58 cm (18-22¾ in)
- Greyish head
- Brownish-grey tail, with buff tips
- Brown overall plumage with rufous on primaries
- Red skin fold is often visible on the throat
Three subspecies are recognised by some authors: O. c. cinereiceps, O. c. olivacea and O. c. chocoensis
Rain forest edges, riparian, secondary humid forest, gardens. Observed at heights around 622 m.
Mostly in flocks which flies one after another from one spot to the next.
Their diet consists of fruit and berries.
Does not have a "Chachalaca" sound
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Ridgely & Gwynne 1989. Birds of Panama. Princeton Paperbacks. ISBN 0691025126
- Garrigues and Dean 2007. The birds of Costa Rica - a field guide. Cornell University Press. ISBN 978-0-8014-7373-9
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved June 2014)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Gray-headed Chachalaca. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 12 May 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Gray-headed_Chachalaca