Alternative Names: Himalayan Vulture
- Gyps himalayensis
103–110 cm (40½-43¼ in)
- Body pale brownish
- Wing coverts pale buff to white
- Flight feathers and tail very dark
Eurasian Griffon Vulture is smaller, has shorter tail, and narrower body.
Resident except for limited altitudinal movement, probably some dispersal by young birds.
High plateaux and mountains up to 6,000m
Click on photo for larger image
- Birdforum thread discussing id of this species
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Himalayan Griffon. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 13 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Himalayan_Griffon