- Microparra capensis
15–16 cm Much smaller than African Jacana
- White underparts and eyebrow
- Pale buffy-greyish brown upperparts
Western Africa: Mali, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Angola
Eastern Africa: Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique, Malawi
Southern Africa: Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal
River floodplains, lagoons sewerage works and bays in wetlands with emergent grass and sedge.
Their diet consists mostly of insects, with the occasional addition of aquatic vegetation.
Both adults incubate the eggs and care for the chicks.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2014. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.9., with updates to August 2014. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved March 2015)
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Lesser Jacana. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 7 March 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Lesser_Jacana