- Acanthis cabaret
Small, brown, red forehead, small black bib and, in breeding males, red upper chests, pale underparts
Birch and alder woods.
Diet includes small seeds, like alders, spruce, and birch. During the breeding season they also feed on insects.
The female builds a small untidy cup nest of fine twigs and grass, lined with feathers and hair. Pale blue eggs with pale pink or lilac markings are laid and incubated by the female. The young are fed by both parents.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Angus, D.J. 2013. Redpoll. In Miskelly, C.M. (ed.) New Zealand Birds Online. http://www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz
- Clement, P. (2017). Lesser Redpoll (Carduelis cabaret). In: del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A., Sargatal, J., Christie, D.A. & de Juana, E. (eds.). Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. (retrieved from http://www.hbw.com/node/61362 on 15 February 2017).
- Fennell, J.F.M., Sagar, P.M. & Fennell, J.S. (1985) Variation within the Redpolls of Canterbury. Notornis 32:245-253.
- Mason, N. A. and Taylor, S. A. (2015), Differentially expressed genes match bill morphology and plumage despite largely undifferentiated genomes in a Holarctic songbird. Mol Ecol, 24: 3009–3025. https://doi.org/10.1111/mec.13140
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Lesser Redpoll. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 18 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Lesser_Redpoll