Alternative name: Lesser Whistling Teal
- Dendrocygna javanica
- Buff head, neck and underparts
- Darker crown
- Darkish grey back and wings
- Chestnut chestnut uppertail-coverts
- Yellow eyering
- Long grey bill
- Long head
- Longish legs
Asia: found in Mongolia, China, Nepal
South Asia: Pakistan, India, Andaman, Eastern and Western Himalayas, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh
Southeast Asia: Indochina, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Malay Peninsula, Brunei, Singapore, Borneo, Indonesia, Greater Sundas, Sumatra, Java, Lesser Sundas and Bali
Shallow water, such as ponds, flooded fields and ox-bow lakes.
They nest in tree holes, old nests of other birds, or on a stick platform near the ground. The clutch consists of 6-12 eggs.
Vegetarian. Their diet consists of grass, water weed shoots, seeds and rice.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved May 2015)
- Trek Nature
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Lesser Whistling Duck. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 27 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Lesser_Whistling_Duck