- Colibri thalassinus
- Mostly green, including vent
- Violet at sides of head does not meet under bill
 Similar species
Lesser Violetear is the most proximal species of the Violetear group.
Open mountain slopes of southern Mexico to north-central Nicaragua
This is a monotypic species.
Formerly considered conspecific with Lesser Violetear under the name Green Violetear.
Relatively wide options from humid forest and second-growth to coffee plantations and open hillsides with bushes.
They visit the flowers of a variety of shrubs and herbs.
Sings while motionless on a high perch.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2016. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2016, with updates to August 2016. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- SACC Baseline read January 2010#Gill, F and D Donsker (Eds). 2016. IOC World Bird Names (version 6.3). Available at http://www.worldbirdnames.org/.
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved November 2014)
- Taxonomic information in this Birdforum thread from post 64 and on
 External Links