- Myrmecocichla aethiops
17–19 cm (6¾-7½ in)
- Blackish-brown overall plumage
- White bases to flight feathers (visible in flight)
- Black bill and legs
There are 3 subspecies:
- M. a. aethiops:
- M. a. sudanensis:
- West Sudan (Darfur and Kordofan)
- M. a. cryptoleuca:
Grassland, scrub, woods and forests. Nearly always in areas where there are termite mounds.
Their diet is mainly insects, such as termites, beetles, moths, ants, grasshoppers, spiders and caterpillars.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved January 2017)
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Northern Anteater Chat. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 14 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Northern_Anteater_Chat