Alternative name: Rufous Turtle Dove
- Streptopelia orientalis
33–35 cm (13-14 inches)
- Scaly buff-brown on back and wings (the feathers are black fringed with buff, grey, or red
- Black and white neck patches
- Long, grey, white-tipped tail
- Red eyes and pink legs
Sexes are similar but juveniles are paler and lack the distinctive neck patches.
European Turtle Dove is similar but has black (not dark gray) centers to the mantle feathers and broader rusty fringing to the greater and median coverts. Spotted Dove has similar neck pattern but lacks rusty mantle fringes and has different vocalisations.
There are six subspecies generally recognised:
- S. o. meena:
- S. o. orientalis:
- S. o. stimpsoni :
- Ryukyu Islands
- S. o. orii:
- S. o. erythrocephala:
- Peninsula India
- S. o. agricola:
Forests and light woodland, city parks and gardens.
Forages on the ground, sometimes in rice paddies. Their diet is mostly vegetarian, consisting of cereals and pine seeds, also shoots of various plants, including bamboo and herbs.
The clutch consists of two white eggs which are laid in a twiggy tree nest.
Populations of northern Asia from Siberia to Japan and Kurile Islands migrate south to winter in southern and eastern Asia from India to southern Japan. Otherwise resident.
Typical call is a four-note croo croo-croo crooo. Himalayan populations vocalisations are said to differ substantially from north Asian populations suggesting that more than one species may be involved.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Birdforum thread discussing identification of European Turtle-Dove vs meena Oriental Turtle-Dove
- Wikipedia contributors. (2018, March 23). Oriental turtle dove. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 09:12, February 1, 2019, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oriental_turtle_dove&oldid=832097693
- Baptista, L.F., Trail, P.W., Horblit, H.M. & Boesman, P. (2017). Oriental Turtle-dove (Streptopelia orientalis). In: del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A., Sargatal, J., Christie, D.A. & de Juana, E. (eds.). Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. (retrieved from http://www.hbw.com/node/54152 on 7 June 2017)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Oriental Turtle Dove. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 27 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Oriental_Turtle_Dove