- Zanclostomus javanicus
- Grey upperparts
- Glossed bluish green on back and wings
- White tipped tail
- Rufous underparts with grey lower-breast bar
- Grey or blue bare skin around eye
- Red bill with blackish culmen
Sexes similar. Juveniles also similar but with narrow rectrices and shorter white tip of tail.
Subtropical or tropical dry forests.
Occurs from lowlands to hilly areas up to 1000m, sometimes up to 1500m.
Feeds on large insects. Takes also spiders and crustaceans.
Breeds in June in Malaysia, April in Kalimantan. A monogamous species. The nest is a flimsy platform made of twigs. The eggs are chalky white.
A resident species.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and J Sargatal, eds. 1997. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 4: Sandgrouse to Cuckoos. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334221
- Gill, F and D Donsker (Eds). 2012. IOC World Bird Names (version 3.2). Available at http://www.worldbirdnames.org/.
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Red-billed Malkoha. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 16 October 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Red-billed_Malkoha