- Melanerpes erythrocephalus
21 - 24 cm (8¼-9½in)
- Red head
- Blue-black back
- White under parts
- Wings black with white inner patches
- White rump.
Subspecies brodkorbi and caurinus are not generally recognised
Mature mixed deciduous and hardwood forests, woodlands with dead trees.
Prefer open deciduous woods, preferably with plenty of oaks nearby.
Their varied diet consists of animal matter during the spring, moving on to seeds and plant material in the winter months.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved April 2016)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Red-headed Woodpecker. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 28 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Red-headed_Woodpecker