Alternative name: Rufous-chested Plover
- Charadrius modestus
Photo © by Luis R
Santo Domingo, Valparaiso, Chile
, June 2018
19â€“22 cm (7Â½-8Â¾ in)
- Bright white supercilium
- Ashy-grey face, cheeks and throat
- Rufous-red breast with black lower border
- White belly
Breeds in Tierra del Fuego and Falkland Islands; winters to southern Brazil.
Extra-limital records in Brazil as far north as Rio de Janeiro.
This is a monotypic species.
Coastal moorland and dunes. Breeds mostly inland on short grass.
They feed at the water's edge on insects, larvae, crustaceans and molluscs. Also algae and other plant material.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- SIMPSON, R. & SIMPSON, E. 2010. Registro documentado da batuĂra-de peito tijolo, Charadrius modestus (Charadriiformes: Charadriidae) em Paraty, Rio de Janeiro. Atualidades OrnitolĂ³gicas, 162: 18-19.(Documented record of Rufous-chested Dotterel Charadrius modestus (Charadriformes: Charadriidae) in Paraty, Rio de Janeiro
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved July 2018)
 External Links