- Saxicola ferreus
14–15 cm (5½-6 in)
- Grey plumage
- Long white supercilium
- White throat and wing bar
Two subspecies recognized:
- S. f. haringtoni breeds southeastern China (north to Gansu and Shaanxi east to Shanghai); winters to southern China and Indochina
- S. f. ferreus breeds in the Himalayas from northwestern Pakistan east to Myanmar, northwestern Thailand, north central Laos, and central Vietnam (southern Annam), and (probably this subspecies) in southern China (southeastern Xizang, western and southern Yunnan); in winter to northern India, southern Myanmar, and southern Indochina
Subspecies haringtoni was formerly included in Jerdon's Bushchat.
Montane broad-leaved forests, and forest edges; gardens with shrubs and bushes and small trees. Observed in the Himalayas at heights around 2133 m.
Their diet consists of a wide variety of insects, including spiders, grasshoppers and beetles, with the occasional addition of seeds.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, J. A. Gerbracht, D. Lepage, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2021. The eBird/Clements checklist of Birds of the World: v2021. Downloaded from https://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved February 2015)
- Birdforum Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2022) Grey Bushchat. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 4 October 2022 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Grey_Bushchat
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.