- Neomorphus squamiger
50cm. A large Ground Cuckoo.
- Glossed green wings
- Black crest
- Buff to cinnamon-brown forehead
- Breast with dusky semcircular bands
- Indistinct narrow black band on chest
- Buff rest of underparts, rufous vent
- Blue bare facial skin, eye brown
- Large yellow-green bill
Sexes similar. Juveniles are duller and darker.
Brazil south of Amazon river (lower Rio Tapajós region).
A rare restricted-range species.
Moist lowland forests.
A poorly known species. Diet probably very similar to Rufous-vented Ground Cuckoo. Probably also follows ants, peccaries and primates.
No information about breeding.
A resident species.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, B.L. Sullivan, C. L. Wood, and D. Roberson. 2013. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.8., with updates to August 2013. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and J Sargatal, eds. 1997. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 4: Sandgrouse to Cuckoos. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334221
- Birdlife International
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Scaled Ground Cuckoo. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 14 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Scaled_Ground_Cuckoo