Alternative name: Javan Coucal
- Centropus nigrorufus
- Glossy black upperparts (purple gloss on mantle)
- Purple gloss to black underparts
- Rufous wings with black tipped flight feathers and upperwing-coverts
- Long black tail
- Red iris; black bill and feet
Mangrove forests, dry shrubland and swamps.
The diet includes grasshoppers, large moths, caterpillars, large bugs, pupae, snails, slugs, centipedes, crabs, birds’ and insect eggs, frogs and treesnakes.
Its nest is built from fresh and dry fern leaves; the clutch consists of 1–5 white eggs.
- Clements, JF. 2009. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to December 2009. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019.
- BirdLife International
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Sunda Coucal. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 11 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Sunda_Coucal