Alternative name: Western Koel
- Eudynamys scolopaceus
39–46 cm (15¼-18 in)
- Pale green bill
- Red eyes
- Grey legs and feet
- Brownish upperparts with white spots
- Whitish underparts heavily striped and spotted brown
- Olive or green beak
- Red eyes
There are 5 subspecies:
- E. s. scolopaceus:
- E. s. chinensis:
- E. s. harterti:
- Hainan (southern China)
- E. s. malayanus (dolosa):
- E. s. mindanensis:
Light woodland and on the fringes of urban areas, mangrove, scrub, plantations, orchards, gardens, parks, rare in forests
Whilst the adults feed mainly on fruit, such as figs, papaya and berries, their diet also includes insects, caterpillars, eggs and small vertebrates.
Call: This is most unique. It consists of a series of 'tuhoo's wherein the 'hoo' is slightly drawn out. The repetitions are very quick, one after the other.
Call given by a male, recorded in the neighborhood garden.
Since the bird is most active just before the onset of monsoon, Indians believe that its arrival heralds the oncoming rains.
In Sri Lanka, they have a strong association with the traditional new year celebrations. In the literature around the festival, the song of the bird is regarded as heralding new year. They are called "koha" by the Sinhala speaking community.
Click images to see larger version
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2019. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World: v2019. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Birdforum Member observations
- Payne, R. & Kirwan, G.M. (2020). Western Koel (Eudynamys scolopaceus). In: del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A., Sargatal, J., Christie, D.A. & de Juana, E. (eds.). Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. (retrieved from https://www.hbw.com/node/54832 on 9 April 2020)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Asian Koel. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 27 January 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Asian_Koel