Disambiguation: The name Yellow-throated Greenbul is sometimes used for Yellow-throated Mountain Greenbul Arizelocichla chlorigula
Alternative name: Yellow-throated Leaflove
- Atimastillas flavicollis
22.5cm (8¾ in). A large, noisy non-forest bulbul.
- Bright yellow throat contrasting with dark-olive brown head and olive-grey underparts
- Dark olive-brown upperparts and tail
Females are smaller than males.
Juveniles are darker overall and have a whitish throat.
Three subspecies recognized:
- A. f. flavicollis found from Senegal and Gambia to southwest Mali and east to Nigeria, nothern Cameroon and northwest Central African Republic, south to Sierra Leone, northern Ivory Coast, southeast Ghana and southern Benin
- A. f. soror from north central Cameroon east to southwestern South Sudan, south to Congo and central Democratic Republic of the Congo; eastern South Sudan and western Ethiopia
- A. f. flavigula in Angola, south-east and east Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, western Kenya and western Tanzania
Formerly placed in genus Chlorocichla.
Feeds on fruit. Takes also some insects.
Usually seen in small family parties, sometimes in pairs, rarely alone. A rather shy species.
Breeding season differs through range. Probably a co-operative breeder. The nest is a cup of small twigs, rootlets, leaf stems and dry leaves. It's placed 2 to 10m above the ground in a tree fork concealed by dense foliage. Lays 2 eggs. parasitised by Red-chested Cuckoo.
Call: single note call, rather yappy, repeated every few seconds.
A sedentary species.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and D Christie, eds. 2005. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 10: Cuckoo-Shrikes to Thrushes. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8487334726
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Yellow-throated Greenbul. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 8 December 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Yellow-throated_Greenbul