- Pionus fuscus
- Brown with purple red or red blue tones above and below
- Slate blue head
- Red spot each side of head by forehead
- Black ear patch
- Grey eyering
- Throat and neck feathers tipped white
- Chin and breast feathers edged dull pink
- Blue tail with red undertail
- Purple blue wings
- Deep violet underwings
- Brown iris
- Grey legs
- Dark grey bill
- Greener heads
- Green tinged wings
- Darker iris
South America: found in humid north-eastern Colombia, to the Guianas and northern Amazonian Brazil.
This is a monotypic species.
The diet includes seeds, fruits and berries.
The clutch consists of 3-4 eggs which are incubated for 26 days. The young fledge about 10 weeks later.
- Clements, JF. 2011. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to August 2011. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- Animal World