• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An absolute beginnner (1 Viewer)

Jools

Hello to all you birders out there - it's good to become part of your community. I'm an absolute novice, starting from scratch but a mate of mine has already got me hooked. I don't even have a pair of binoculars yet! Can anyone suggest some good bins for around £400-500? I've had a look at the Bushnell Elite - are they any good? I need a pair with an Interpupillary distcance of at least 76mm (I've tried lots of bins but they don't open wide enough - the only ones that I've tried that were any good were the Zeiss FL and the Nikon HG (both very expensive)). I'd appreciate any help.

Hi Jools,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

Have a browse through the Bins forums and if you have any specific questions post them there. I am sure you will get plenty of advice.

My only advice is that if you are spending a lot of money don't buy without trying. Bins are quite a "personal" thing.

Hi Jools and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here

D

Jools said:
Hello to all you birders out there - it's good to become part of your community. I'm an absolute novice, starting from scratch but a mate of mine has already got me hooked. I don't even have a pair of binoculars yet! Can anyone suggest some good bins for around £400-500? I've had a look at the Bushnell Elite - are they any good? I need a pair with an Interpupillary distcance of at least 76mm (I've tried lots of bins but they don't open wide enough - the only ones that I've tried that were any good were the Zeiss FL and the Nikon HG (both very expensive)). I'd appreciate any help.

Welcome, Jools. I suggest you search the optics threads for binoculars tips but the two things I'd want to stress are:

Try before you buy, preferably at a reserve. Don't rule out 2nd hand, especially for your 1st pair - if you then decide you want something different you shoudl get nearly all your cash back.
Did you seriously mean £400-£500 for a 1st pair of binoculars? You really don't need to spend that kind of money and would do very well to spend circa £150 and put the rest towards a scope which you will soon want anyway. As a beginner, unless you have very good eyes, I think you'd struggel to see the difference between a very good sub £200 pair and a £500 pair.

Whatever you get, enjoy the birds.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back