• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Counting birds (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Does anyone know how to count birds accurately ?
A line in this months Birdwatching magazine reads ''Breydon Water ..... Wigeon saw an excellent 14,117....'' And I've seen other similar examples. On the few occasions I've tried counting birds they move and fly about ( ! ) making it impossible to count above about 20 of them.
I did think perhaps some form of estimation could be used, but isn't 14,117 rather an exact figure ?
Surely they aren't all counted individually ?
Anyone ?

I only count individually if I can. If there is a mass of them I will count a "block" of them and count how many of these "blocks" are present and it's usually an underestimate to be on the safe side. If they are spread over a larger area then I can easily count each one for an accurate figure.

These seemingly accurate numbers are probably done by a warden or dedicated watcher asked to count a certain species. I would think they will spend a considerable part of the day doing this.

I rather doubt that anyone counted each individual bird, but rather counted the number in a small area, and then multipled it by the aproximate total area of birds. Most of us would round the estimated number off, but if you dont then you are likely to come up with a number like this.

As for counting birds in flight I find this impossible. One solution would be to photogaph the birds using a wide angle lens setting and than count the dots on the resulting picture although I've not tried that myself.

Paul

I've had second thoughts about this as 14117 seems to be a prime number, so it cant be produced through multiplication, some poor bugger must have counted these.

Paul

Turnstiles, as opposed to Turnstones!.
Train them to count themselves and have one come & report in!.

I seldom bother to count above 10. Then its No in blocks x No of Blocks, same with flying birds!.
:brains:

Alan

Having had another fruitless go at counting up on Breydon water today I think I'll adapt Alans idea and not bother counting above 10. Beyond that it goes 'several', 'lots' and then 'shedloads'

Paul
14117 = 19 x 743
so a smaller number could have been counted.
(19 & 743 are prime numbers)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back