• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor, Australia (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

Video stills from a very distant bird at Richmond Lake, Rockingham south of Perth in February. First thoughts were Whistling Kite but it seems very bulky with really long wingspan. Sea Eagle?

Attachments

• raptor3.jpg
    raptor3.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 144
  • raptor4.jpg
    raptor4.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 91
  • raptor5.jpg
    raptor5.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 83
  • raptor6.jpg
    raptor6.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 42
  • raptor7.jpg
    raptor7.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 55
I really can't be sure from those photos.
Most look to be juvvy WBSE, one or two suggest juvvy WK.

I'd like a clearer look at the bill, but in the first pic, the head looks to be more heavy set than WK for me (I've seen great variation in WK bills though - including one that could have passed for WTE !). Ditto the body, and the feet in that shot too.

One of the shots banking away shows very long wings.

If I was forced to bet, I'd say juvvy WBSE.
I will have another look after a good night's sleep ! :)

Chosun :gh:

Whjstling Kite, wing pattern, tail shape and pale head all typical, one of the photos does suggest a W-b Sea-eagle but again a case of a photo being misleading

I tried sharpening those photos - but to no avail, it didn't reveal anything more to me.

I don't know whether it's the blurriness that makes the head /body look bigger than they actually are or what .... ?

Here's my druthers:-
1st photo - the base of the wings joining the body looks very long - suggesting WBSE. Anyone like to comment on that aspect ?
- I'm not sure if the head /body are large, or large enough for WBSE - ditto the feet (also not sure if they are positioned far enough back).
Yesterday I saw a pic of a WK carrying a ~2-2&1/2 lb bream aloft ! The variations in size and strength of WK's never ceases to amaze me !
Photo 3 the wings look really long - suggesting WBSE. All other shots are suggesting normal WK wingspan.
The tail. I can't work out if it's too long or not for WBSE .... ?
Looking at photo 5, the tail/body/wing relationship looks more WK. In fact I think this photo seals it for me for WK for now.

The only thing I can say for certain is that it is a juvenile bird !

I still haven't had a chance to check my books - I need sleep zzzzzz

P.S. If there were any Noisy Miners around they definitely would have freaked out more at a WBSE .....

Last edited:
I've had a look through some of my old juvvy WBSE and WK photos. Apart from everything else that has been mentioned the position of the feet are only about 1/4 of the way along the tail in photo 1. (In WBSE the feet reach to about half of the tail length).

So definitely a Whistling Kite.

Thank you all for your very interesting comments and knowledge. I usually see Whistling Kites at Richmond Lake and have seen Sea Eagle a couple of times. I assumed this was a kite but suddenly felt the body was very bulky and the wings seemed very long, which is why I sought better advice. I'm glad that I can now definitely say that it's either a kite or a sea eagle! I'm just happy that I don't need the footage for my personal library of either bird since it thankfully already contains definitive views of both. Once again, I am very grateful to all the knowledge shown on this site and marvel at the intricacies of your expertise.

I have read the entire thread, and it seemed to me that the sea eagle hypothesis was solidly shot down at the end?

Niels

Huge apologies to anyone I have upset with my earlier comment. I don't do texting or email very often and this shows just how thoughts in my head can come over very differently when I slap them down hurriedly on paper without any of the body language and verbal tone that my head wants to include. My intention was to highlight my gratitude at the superb knowledge of other contributors yet also show how complex one set of pics of one bird can be even to those far more knowledgeable than I. I really do appreciate all your help and can indeed see that the decision is Whistling kite.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back