• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ann and Roland go Birding in Southern India (Kerala) Christmas 2018 (1 Viewer)

seedyrom

Supporter
This trip was organised through Asia Adventures, a company we had used before.

Attachments

• Ann and Roland Go Birding in Southern India December 2018.pdf
    670.2 KB · Views: 74
Nice report.

I just got back from India myself. Similar itinerary, but we went to Periyar for a couple days with only a single day each at Thattekad and Chinnar.

FWIW, you got a couple birds we missed, but we got a few you missed.

Hi, Jeff! We looked at an itinerary with a different company which included Periyar. Our guide, Vinod, didn't seem to think much of the place!
I would be amazed if we didn't have slightly different bird lists! ;)
We would like to go back to India sometime but are stuck for inspiration at the moment.
Happy Christmas!

FYI, I went with Rockjumper.

I wasn't especially thrilled with Periyar either. Entry hours were very restrictive, you had to go with a ranger, etc. I think the only reason we went is it's a semi-reliable place for Wynaad Laughingthrush, although we missed it anyway.

We spent only 4-5 hours at Thattekad (on the way from Periyar to Kochi) but got about a half-dozen birds there that we didn't get elsewhere, including a Sri Lanka Bay Owl and a pair of Sri Lanka Frogmouths on day roosts.

If you're looking for ideas, I went to Sri Lanka after India. There was some overlap, but with 34 endemics and quite a few other wintering species from Central Asia, it was quite productive. If I go back to the "subcontinent" I figure I'd go to somewhere that includes the Himalayas. Bhutan comes highly recommended. But there's quite a few other places to go before I head back to that part of Asia.

We prefer private tours, Jeff. We try to find a local guide to work with but it doesn't always work out!
Pity about the Laughingthrush :(
We got the Frogmouths more than once. Very photogenic!
We have been to Sri Lanka with Jith. Loved it.
We have also done Northern India (Corbett) and Nepal so I'm not sure how much would be new in Bhutan plus it's a tad expensive. I will have another look, though.

Have you been to Gujurat? We had a very good birding trip there. We still have the itinerary somewhere I am sure - if you are interested.

Last edited:
Have you been to Gujurat? We had a very good birding trip there. We still have the itinerary somewhere I am sure - if you are interested.

Hi!
Yes thanks, we have been to Gujarat, Northern India (Corbett etc) and Goa, which is where we fell in love with birdwatching :)
Happy New Year from the Philippines!
Report coming soon ......
Ann

Hi!
Yes thanks, we have been to Gujarat, Northern India (Corbett etc) and Goa, which is where we fell in love with birdwatching :)
Happy New Year from the Philippines!
Report coming soon ......
Ann

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back