• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp Nest in Shed (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

We are due to move house tomorrow

My OH had a look in our garden shed, and there is the beginning of a small Wasp nest in amongst the stuff we want to move out

Any ideas how to approach this dilemna

OH said knock the nest down, but will that make it worse for us to get our belongings out of the shed.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank in advance
Kathy

Get a CO2 fire extinguisher and spray the nest. They will *instantly* freeze. The nest and contents can be removed safely and you can set them out somewhere else. The wasps will thaw and take flight again! Hopefully somewhere else.

We have used that technique many times when the wasps start to make nests over the door ways or in the breezeway. It is non-toxic. It is instant and not lethal to the wasps or bees. (Remember the sci-fi movie, The Blob? LOL!)

Hope this is an option you might consider. Make sure it is a CO2 extinguisher not a chemical one.

~~~> Howz the ankle?

Get a CO2 fire extinguisher and spray the nest. They will *instantly* freeze. The nest and contents can be removed safely and you can set them out somewhere else. The wasps will thaw and take flight again! Hopefully somewhere else.

We have used that technique many times when the wasps start to make nests over the door ways or in the breezeway. It is non-toxic. It is instant and not lethal to the wasps or bees. (Remember the sci-fi movie, The Blob? LOL!)

Hope this is an option you might consider. Make sure it is a CO2 extinguisher not a chemical one.

~~~> Howz the ankle?

hi lydia

Thank you for your answer

I have never heard of the Fire extinguisher idea before. My OH has just read it and said he never thought of trying that one at all. Yes, remember 'The Blob' a lot!

Great idea indeed. We will consider where to get one - are they got in hardware stores?

Foot is still in the plaster cast for another two and half weeks. The hired wheel chair is really useful.
Then it will be physio after the cast goes. I think another x-ray is taken to see if the bone is knitted.

Funny to think this time last week I did the damage to my ankle all for the sake of getting a picture of a Bee Orchid. :gh:

Silly me! :eek!::eek!:

Thank you for caring
Kathy :t:
x

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back