• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iridescent crested black bird? (1 Viewer)

lindacarol6

Every couple of days an iridescent, solid black bird with a small crest visits m oriole feeder and enjoys the oranges and jelly. It almost looks like a streamlined cardinal or titmouse. The crest is not as prominent though. I have not been able to get a picture. It is alone, and I have not seen it in previous years. Any ideas? We are rural with an even mix of farm fields, hardwood forest and faux prairie. Our yard open with hardwood and spruce woods on all four sides.

Every couple of days an iridescent, solid black bird with a small crest visits m oriole feeder and enjoys the oranges and jelly. It almost looks like a streamlined cardinal or titmouse. The crest is not as prominent though. I have not been able to get a picture. It is alone, and I have not seen it in previous years. Any ideas? We are rural with an even mix of farm fields, hardwood forest and faux prairie. Our yard open with hardwood and spruce woods on all four sides.
Can you post a photo?

Nothing comes to mind. How big is it, relative to a robin, say, or a House or Purple Finch? What are its vocalizations (if you’ve heard any)? Eye color? Tail length, long or short?

Last edited:

Only bird that comes to mind with these characteristics would be the Phainopepla, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phainopepla

It would be an exceptional bird for Wisconsin though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back