• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorant wing drying (1 Viewer)

George Hogg

Anyone recall the research which concluded cormorants in"scarecrow"position are not drying their wings as widely believed?
Apparently they are generating muscle heat to compensate for the chilling effect of cold fish in their bellies.
I recall the researchers fed the birds fish of varying temperatures.
Birds fed warm fish never "dried" their wings.
It seems this research has been forgotten ,as the old myth of birds drying their wings is still widely accepted.....George H

Anyone recall the research which concluded cormorants in"scarecrow"position are not drying their wings as widely believed?
Apparently they are generating muscle heat to compensate for the chilling effect of cold fish in their bellies.
It seems this research has been forgotten ,as the old myth of birds drying their wings is still widely accepted.....George H

Sounds very fishy, George ! (sorry, couldn't resist ! ),

So Cormorants wings are waterproof, or not ? Warm fish = no strectching of wings ? Can this be true ?

Cheers G

I too heard about this research sometime ago, but cannot remember where.

I seem to remember that they also face into the sun as the extra warmth aids digestion of their cold meal.

Here’s some recent research in support of the wing-drying theory, so I don’t think it can be fairly dismissed as a “myth” just yet:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/121377618/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Last edited:
Sorry Fugl,wasn't able to open your link.
I was reminded of the cold fish theory after watching a cormorant swallow a particularly large flounder after many attempts.
The bird then swam straight to a rock and began a very long session of rapidly trembling it's outstretched wings.
Tim,northern waters or not(this is Scotland)fish are cold blooded(I think)and birds are warm blooded so I would expect quite a difference in core temperatures.
I am still much more convinced of the cold fish theory than the wing drying theory.
...George

That's actually really interesting, I always thought it was a method to dry their wings. Then again, why can't it be a bit of both? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Thanks for the new link Fugl.
Queries I have with it are_can cormorants surfacing without fish be assumed to have failed to catch.Are smaller fish not eaten during diving and could not a cormorant in a shoal of small fish consume several fish before surfacing?
Also it seems extended wings were discounted as a means of cooling the bird whereas my suspicion is it is used as a means of heating the abdomen,particularly when used in conjunction with rapid wing trembling...George

Thanks for the new link Fugl.
Queries I have with it are_can cormorants surfacing without fish be assumed to have failed to catch.Are smaller fish not eaten during diving and could not a cormorant in a shoal of small fish consume several fish before surfacing?
Also it seems extended wings were discounted as a means of cooling the bird whereas my suspicion is it is used as a means of heating the abdomen,particularly when used in conjunction with rapid wing trembling...George

Interesting point about the “swallowing several small fish underwater” possibility. On the basis of what I’ve read so far, however, it seems to me that the balance of the evidence is still in favor of drying as the principal—but not necessarily the only—function of wing stretching.

I've seen new world vultures (Black, Turkey) also hold their wings spread in similar fashion on occasion. They are not diving birds of course, so at least for them wing drying is an unlikely explanation.

Best,
Jim

I've seen new world vultures (Black, Turkey) also hold their wings spread in similar fashion on occasion. They are not diving birds of course, so at least for them wing drying is an unlikely explanation.

Best,
Jim

Hi Jim,Now you mention it I have often seen Marabou Storks do it in Africa i.e standing scarecrow fashion for long periods after feeding with vultures on a big cat kill.The reason would definitely not be wing drying in that circumstance......George

That's actually really interesting, I always thought it was a method to dry their wings. Then again, why can't it be a bit of both? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

It might be both. I noticed them after spending the day in the water, perching on a rock in the late afternoon. I assumed they were drying their wings before nighttime.

Frank Lardino

Apart from Africa, have you seen Shags 'wing-drying' ?

G

Not certain whether I have,but it doesn't ring any bells.
If they don't it would seem strange unless they are not as closely related to cormorants as we assume.
As regards the cormorant theory, the fact that the flight muscles,either side of the sternum practically enclose the crop would make the use of these muscles to heat crop contents a sensible proposition?...g

It might be both. I noticed them after spending the day in the water, perching on a rock in the late afternoon. I assumed they were drying their wings before nighttime.

Frank Lardino

I still think I have often seen cormorants holding out their wings in bad weather and sea conditions when the chance of them drying is nil,in fact they are more likely to get wetter!
Still sticking with the theory they are trying to counter the chilling effect of cold fish in their crops .....g

I still think I have often seen cormorants holding out their wings in bad weather and sea conditions when the chance of them drying is nil,in fact they are more likely to get wetter!
Still sticking with the theory they are trying to counter the chilling effect of cold fish in their crops .....g

But surely warming crop or stomach contents wouldn’t work in wet & stormy conditions either, particularly if wind chill is taken into account?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back