• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two titles abandoned (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Just spoken to my usual supplier who tells me that Mongolia, Gombobaatar S, Leahy C and Boldbaatar S due 2017 and Argentina & the South-West Atlantic, Pearman due Aug 17 are now not going to happen.

A real pity, had eagerly anticipated both.

Andy

If true, that's very disappointing, and quite surprising. Much of the artwork for the Mongolia guide could presumably have been taken from existing Helm field guides (Central Asia, East Asia, Indian Subcontinent); and the Argentina guide already seemed to be at an advanced stage of development (with impressive plates) back in 2009 at least.

Both statements are incorrect.

Cheers, Jim

I have heard it suggested that the only reason Helm have kept the Pearman title on the title list is just to dissuade other authors from attempting an alternative, whilst hoping that the author will find the time to complete it. If stopping rivals was an objective, it certainly seems to have worked!

cheers, alan

Any word on the pearman guides publication date?

(heading to argentina in november / december so if at all feasible I'd like to get my hands on the books. :) )

KR,

filip

All I can say is that my retailer is usually 'in the know' and I don't know why he'd tell me this if not true, wouldn't be in his interests?

Andy

As someone outside the book business, it's hard to imagine delays of 2 years or more beyond original dates.
A few months could be understandable but years?

Some titles seem to get close only to be put back time and again.

Andy

Ha, 2yrs??? That's nothing! The Melanesia guide took 10......
The artwork for last year's Robins & Chats was started in the very late 90s.....!!

Ha, 2yrs??? That's nothing! The Melanesia guide took 10......
The artwork for last year's Robins & Chats was started in the very late 90s.....!!

Adam,
I'm not referring to the length of time a book takes to produce, simply an observation as to how the date can be so wrong, often by several years.

We all have an idea as to how difficult and time consuming it is to produce a book, especially something the size of Pearman's Argentina but
why say e.g 2013 and keep moving it by 2 years, wouldn't it be better just to say 'in prep' and leave it at that until it's imminent?

Re artwork, I guess that's going to be down to whether or not the artist is a full time illustrator or if they have other full time employment like I believe your good self?

Andy

Last edited:
Adam,
I'm not referring to the length of time a book takes to produce, simply an observation as to how the date can be so wrong, often by several years.

We all have an idea as to how difficult and time consuming it is to produce a book, especially something the size of Pearman's Argentina but
why say e.g 2013 and keep moving it by 2 years, wouldn't it be better just to say 'in prep' and leave it at that until it's imminent?

Andy

A lot of it has certainly to do with discouraging others to work on a similar book. Kind of trying to keep a territory occupied. I had observed the same going on long before the times of the internet. So it's nothing new. What is new is the possibility to discuss these things with a wide "audience" so easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back