• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions for Ontario birders (1 Viewer)

Ptitsa

I'll be visiting the rels in Barrie in late July. My initial research indicates the
Minesing Wetlands could produce a Cerulean Warbler. Am I deluding myself?

I'm also thinking I could find the odd Woodcock there if I was really lucky.

Any other ideas for a half-day outing near Barrie?

Cerulean warbler is highly unlikely but there are probably 15-20 other species of warbler reasonably likely.
Woodcocks are common, but they'll have stopped displaying by then so will be very hard to find.

Don't know the area so can't suggest any locations.

You probably shouldn't expect a Cerulean, but I guess anything is possible. Your best bet is to check eBird sometime in late June.

If you want to see Piping Plovers, there are a couple pairs at nearby (relatively) Wasaga Beach.

If you start looking for the warbler, remember they are often a fair bit up in mature deciduous forest (even if the ground can be wet underneath)

Niels

Ptitsa -
They breed here in the mountains of North Carolina. As Niels said, they normally stay high in the canopy, though they often come down to mid levels. I've only once seen a Cerulean below 20 feet. Learn the song and you'll know if there is one to look for.

Steve

I'll be visiting the rels in Barrie in late July. My initial research indicates the
Minesing Wetlands could produce a Cerulean Warbler. Am I deluding myself?

I'm also thinking I could find the odd Woodcock there if I was really lucky.

Any other ideas for a half-day outing near Barrie?

Carden Alvcar to the east woudl be a great outing for Loggerhead shrike, rails and bluebirds. There is a good guide to that area. If interested, email me.
Bruce in Guelph

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back