• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TB and Badgers (1 Viewer)

This is at best a delay. I am personally not keen on the idea of giving farmers traps and permission to use them - I expect some will simply trap and kill. Not to mention the necessity, difficulty and cost of farmers holding stocks of syringes, pharmacy refrigerators, vaccines and so on, and having to learn vaccination technique to presumably veterinary medical standards.

In addition it seems to me that the difficulty of trapping and vaccinating Badgers could be obviated by vaccinating cattle, which are large, easy to find, and kept confined.

More issue-dodging crap, frankly. (Sorry Mark - not your fault!)

John

Not taken personally just bring it to the attention of people.

I agree farmers and badgers are a bad mix - for the badgers that is

Mark

Isn't it a shame that 'they' cannot agree to vaccinate cattle - all very traceable, eartagged twice, know they have been vaccinated rather than stressing badgers??
And that is a farmer speaking who has lost 6 cattle at the last TB test to TB

Isn't it a shame that 'they' cannot agree to vaccinate cattle - all very traceable, eartagged twice, know they have been vaccinated rather than stressing badgers??
And that is a farmer speaking who has lost 6 cattle at the last TB test to TB

The problem as I understand it is that no current test can differentiate between infected cattle and vaccinated cattle, so you can't tell if a vaccinated animal has acquired TB, which is possible as the vaccine is not 100% effective. From what I've read a test which could differentiate is a very long way off.

Vaccinating badgers really doesn't seem in the least practical though.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back